by Pixeleen Mistral on 16/10/10 at 10:01 pm
A character from the Blue Oyster bar more interested in playtime than business?
Shocked players across the grid struggled to come to terms with game god Philip Linden’s new look reacting with disbelief, facepalms, and sqeee shrieks. Informed of Philip’s new style, performance artist Vaneeesa Blaylock said, "wow – out of all his SLCC promises… one actually came true! "
A sample of the Second Life resident reactions:
- Damn, he’s married
- Honestly? Looks like a character from the Blue Oyster bar of Police Academy fame.
- I thought the skull and the doo were much improved
- he’s too fat
- I think he’s too slim not too fat. That’s not a male waistline.
- I’m impressed that the artist managed to retain the original feel, in a more real look. That was well done
- doesnt look SL-like, needs to have a skinner waist and bigger chest and biceps
- yeah really well done
- perhaps replace the psycadelic shorts, they might be sending the right impression
- It’s ok. I like his old look better though.
- the new avatar for philip looks like he will rape you tenderly
- looks like a pimp. His former avatar looked more harmless actually.
- is this SL or is it Queer Eye? Someone needs to give this to Fred Phelps. he looks like someone you’d meet at a gay biker bar … not that I would know … first hand >.>
- I’m surprised. Phillip doesn’t look like shit now. He just has a corrupt crotch texture
acting game god’s before and after mug shots
I contacted Tenshi Vielle for a fashionista’s take on the look – and what message it sends.
Tenshi Vielle: my first question was whether or not he’d actually employ the new look (it’s taken this long?)
Tenshi Vielle: my second question is, if LL wanted a completely unique look from a creator, they should have said so… Abyss makes hair, skins, the works.
Tenshi Vielle: And my last comment is, at least it’s someone I recognize vaguely winning this time. Sometimes I wonder if the contest winners are Linden alts.
Pixeleen Mistral: what sort of message or style is the new avatar conveying?
Tenshi Vielle: Well, for one, Philip is more interested in playtime than business.
Tenshi Vielle: Two, they’re obviously looking to show off what the residents have done on their platform, how we’ve made it look
Tenshi Vielle: Which really amuses me… creators, while they make a bit of cash, are really just working for free for LL… advertising wise.
Tenshi Vielle: I mean, when did LL ever really give content creators the backing they need versus content theft or things of that nature?
Tenshi Vielle: They tried the brown bag meetings, and I have yet to see anything that really helps protect creators come out of those
Tenshi Vielle: Creators are still being ignored when they have a theft issue
Tenshi Vielle shrugs
Pixeleen Mistral: LL is not staffed to deal with the content theft issue
Tenshi Vielle: No, but they could do a little better.
There is a flickr photo collection here for those who want to see what might have been.